Has anyone thought of writing a proxy DLL of sorts for the MSVCRT? One could one that meets some least-common-denominator and everyone links against it.

It could also take the role of providing a compatibility interface to permit newer MSVCRTs being used w/ their fixes/etc, but providing all the same APIs. Tackling this would definitely need some studying of the APIs exposed by each MSVCRT..... one thing I don't know is if certain compiler constructions by MinGW for example (easiest target I think) hook directly into the MSVCRT...........

This could be the way to kill this MSVCRT dumbness once and for all (well, testing new versions of MSVCRT w/ your app would be preferable)....