On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:38 PM, David Given <dg@cowlark.com> wrote:
> LuaJIT still wins, but V8 is definitely catching up --- it's a mere
> 106kloc too, which competes quite nicely with LuaJIT's 28kloc...

Depends on the benchmarks used I think.  I have been running through
some of the benchmarks from the language shootout (both the simple
ones from the pre-Debian era and the new ones) and V8 is considerably
faster than even LuaJIT in all of them that I have tried (2x to 4x
faster for the most part it seems).  I'm testing using the base V8
shell in Linux though, how did you run your tests?

>From a brief look at the code I'm assuming V8 is using a JIT also and
it appears to be Intel 32-bit only.  It will be interesting to see how
easy it is to port to other platforms and if anybody takes the time to
do it.

CR