> Wouldn't it be more correct if LUA_RELEASE and LUA_COPYRIGHT strings
> were embedded in Lua library rather than in Lua executable?

Actually, these strings are embedded in the Lua library:

% ident liblua.a
liblua.a:
     $Lua: Lua 5.1.4 Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio $
     $Authors: R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo & W. Celes $

> Currently, if I run lua.exe (version 5.1.4) with lua.5.1.dll (version
> 5.1.3), I see:
>
>  > Lua 5.1.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 Lua.org, PUC-Rio

I see your point but I don't know what to do about it. Minor versions are
supposed to be binary compatible so you can compile use one lua.h and link
with another liblua.a, as you have found out.
--lhf