>This could plausibly return any of 9, 10 or nil, depending on which set
>of semantics you decide on --- which to me is a good reason not to
>decide on any of them, and go for the simple but intuitive approach of
>not having assingment be an operator.
>Duncan Cross

Once you made assignment an operator, you would have to define it as evaluating to its right operand.

~~ Paul

Windfall               Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
   Software              978 371-2316
                             www.windfall.com (some day)
Out on the Mira on soft summer nights,
Bonfires blaze to the children's delight;
They dance 'round the flames singing songs with their friends,
And I wish I was with them again.

---Allister MacGillivray