Ben Kelly wrote:

Personally, I think the real solution is to remove automatic
string<->number coercion; on a stylistic level, it's weird, with two
types getting special treatment, and on a pragmatic level it seems to
cause far more problems than it solves, especially when using the C API,
where it actually *mutates the stack* rather than just implicitly casting.
Ben

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one that likes this particular feature.

Well, automatic coercion from the C API I don't find too useful, but within Lua itself
I've found it can unclutter pattern matching functions a little bit.

- Alex