Ben Kelly wrote:

>> This requires the function be on the stack and that you know the
>> index, though.
>>
> If he's in a position to use pcall on it, it's already on stack and
> thus using lua_isfunction() is entirely reasonable, no?
> 	Ben

I took the "return value of 2" to mean lua_pcall returned 2 (which I believe
is LUA_ERRRUN) so perhaps the function is not on the stack? Simply pushing
some random things onto the stack (none of which are functions) and then
calling lua_pcall will give you a return value of 2. It could be the
function is on the stack but the number of arguments (nargs) supplied to
lua_pcall is incorrect. I think further details from Joey are needed.