David Burgess wrote:
The IO library is as it is because (I guess) it is standard C runtime.
However, I have copied and modified the iolib.c code for so many io variants
that I have lost count.

A universal solution in 5.2 would be nice.
+1.

PHP has taken it to the Nth level using their wrappers; see http://www.php.net/wrappers.php for all the things that have been abstracted. The feature that I like best is the one where I can read remote web page just like a file.

I understand that all of the implementation of such a wrapper does not belong to the Lua core; it would be great if the design allowed for extending the io library without touching the stock Lua (I mean after such a design has been reified).

-- Vijay