Rob Kendrick wrote:
[...]
> Unfortunately, I have an aversion to C++ - certainly for that sort of
> data processing.  Certainly, for my applications I don't require all the
> aggressive optimisations it does!

Yes, I had a look at LLVM and it scared me. Deeply. Admittedly not as
badly as the gcc innards, which are just plain horrific, but LLVM is
huge and very complex (and takes ages to build, particularly when you
consider that the C frontend involves building gcc; clang isn't there
yet). sparse seems to fit what I want rather better.

I asked about compiler frontends on comp.compilers, and got some handy
pointers:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.compilers/browse_thread/thread/70df81416d7a362c

│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup