On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:28:45 +0100
Stephen Kellett <lua@objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> That is the problem. You think that because people are free not to
> write as well as you, that that is good. I don't agree. When they
people are free to eat stones. should we annihilate all the stones one
can eat? or should we tell one not to eat stones?

> come looking for information from a tool they are confused as to why
> that information is not there. Even more so if they've used a similar
it's so easy to explain: no input -- no output. period.

> confusion!). Its quite hard trying to explain to a developer that
it's very easy to explain this to *developer*. if developer can't
understand such simple thing, this developer should be fired and
blacklisted, 'cause this creature can't write computer programs. such
creature has no brain.

> reason people seem to think that although its an anonymous function
> it does really have some form of (human readable) identity that can
> be tracked. Yeah, right!
so tell 'em that they're wrong. mo magick here.

> Integer, I'm a table, I'm userdata. Once you get to that, if the
> writer of the table hasn't provided a name for you, thats it, you've
> got "Table_0x0034fbac" as you identifier. Very useful :-(
no magick here. no input -- no output.

>  >From my own perspective, if I'm in a debugger, the debugger should
>  >be
> able to tell me I'm working with a SpaceShuttle not Table_0x0034fabc.
> If you fix this for teh debugger, you implicitly fix it for all the
> other tools.
and how the debugger can know this? perhaps using some astral
interfaces? tell the debugger that this table is an instance of a
SpaceShip, and then debugger will know it. tell the people they should
explicitly write this for the debugger. it's easy. computers can't
think. humans should think, not computers.

i thought that *every* programmers knows two rules:
* garbage in, garbage out;
* no input -- no output.
these are the basic rules, how one can write programs without
understanding such simple things?

p.s. i'm not talking about you, i'm talking about hypotetical user
that wants some astral info from the computer.