I would like to define a custom adding function for numbers.

Consider this string "return 1 + 2".  This can be turned into a function with loadstring etc, but I can't override the behavior of "+".

I know I could write a different function for example "add2".

Then I would use "return add2(1, 2)".   But this does not do what I want.

Metatables work wonderfully if I am using tables with __add.

Is there a way to use the metatable __add concept on numbers( and booleans)?