On Sat, 21 Jun 2008, David Girault wrote:
>This sound great, but why don't create a generic comm API that
>can use either the windows API or the linux API ? Since LUA itself is
>ported to all plateform, why limiting module to Windows plateform?

The simple answer is that I have multiple Windows platforms
available to me, but no Unix, Linux, or Mac systems. I am not
hostile to platform portability, I just don't have the resources
at hand. Also, my immediate and direct need is to make efficient
use of serial ports on a Windows platform.

Were I designing a portable serial port API, I would imagine that
it would be a portable Lua module that lays over a mostly
non-portable interface to each supported platform's native API.
Deciding what features should be provided and how they are
abstracted from the capabilities provided by multiple platforms
is not a task I can take on at the moment. That said, I'd be
happy to advise someone who want that architectural role from my
understanding of how things work on the Windows side.

Some of the upper layer design really should be done with
LuaSocket fully involved. Ideally, LuaSocket or something derived
from it should be able to provide a socket-like abstraction over
nearly any kind of I/O channel. Serial ports should fit that
model nicely.

Another approach would be to fit serial port configuration into
the framework of the existing standard io library. That is the
approach I took in my prior version of this code which
effectively extended the file class to add support for
controlling baud rate, handshake modes, and so forth. It was a
very ad hoc approach that got the job done, but since io is
itself implemented through the C stdio library I kept running
into edge cases involving just which layer had buffered a
character without delivering it. My wrapper is only buffered to
the extent that the Windows device driver (and the UART itself)
is buffered, so I expect to find a whole new set of edge cases to
worry about ;-)

Ross Berteig                               Ross@CheshireEng.com
Cheshire Engineering Corp.           http://www.CheshireEng.com/