Hello everyone,

I just wanted to pass on some complimentary remarks I received about Lua recently. I know that lists and forums tend to discuss problems, and when something works perfectly, you often don't hear about it.

My general area of interest is MUD games (Multiple User Dungeons), effectively multi-player games where players from around the world participate in text-based interactive fantasy worlds. Conceptually they are similar to graphical MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games), which are an offshoot of the original idea. Examples of MMORPGs are World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Club Penguin, and similar. (WoW incidentally uses Lua for its client scripting).

However the text-based games are still possible to be implemented and operated for little or no cost, due to their much lower development overheads than the more modern graphical versions.

I have been using Lua for a few years now on the client end, with much success. I have also been encouraging its use at the server end, to simplify scripting of computer-operated "monsters" and other agents.

I recently received a highly complimentary posting from the operator of one such server. If I may quote him:

"All of the game scripting in Aardwolf MUD is Lua based. Other than the rewrite itself, it has been the best single project we ever implemented.

Performance has been fantastic. With literally millions of prog executions per day, hundreds of paused couroutine threads running at any given time (pauses in game progs), 3,500 old "mobprog" style progs converted to Lua plus around a thousand more since it was added, we experience no lag from GC whatsoever and the debug lib is reporting just under 10M usage at time of writing with a peak around 16M during the night."

"Bottom line, if you're wondering whether it is worth the work to convert to Lua, it absolutely is. Our builders love it and even mention side benefits like being able to put a "real" programming language on their resume."

"It is fast, stable, and mainstream."

The full posting is available here: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=8306

Just thought you would like to know. Lua is appreciated.

- Nick Gammon