Hi all,

Yueliang 0.4.0 release - Lua parser skeletons

This is a brief announcement for a major milestone for Yueliang,
which is a collection of Lua scripts that is a straight port of
the original Lua C front-end sources. At the moment, it is more or
less a few toy scripts to play with.

Version 0.4.0 has a native Lua lexer and a parser skeleton (that
is, a parser stripped of all codegen code) for Lua 5.1.3. There is
a native Lua lexer and a parser skeleton for Lua 5.0.x too. There
are also the original brain-dead ports from C. There are various
test scripts for the parsers and lexers, plus sample test output
files that shows call trees or sequences pertaining to the parsing
process.

In terms of complexity, the lexer is about 220 SLOC and its binary
chunk is 3716 bytes, stripped, while the parser skeleton (minus
message logging calls for testing) is about 600 SLOC, and its
binary chunk is (plus message logging calls for testing) 15783
bytes, stripped.

Many thanks to LuaForge for hosting all this. :-)

Now that I have a parser skeleton, I am ready to take Lua source
code compression to foolish extremes. :-)

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)