Shmuel Zeigerman wrote:

Usually, if a Windows application is concerned with a particular DLL version, it installs it in the directory where it installs its EXE. Then, it can be safely uninstalled from there with the rest of the application.

Agreed. I am concerned about the version I'm using, so I install my DLLs in a given directory (remember, I'm deploying using LuaRocks but it cannot be assumed that I'll consume that rocks using the Lua executable that LuaRocks has installed). The problem is with the other applications, out of my control, that I might break.

Whenever possible, its best to not drop dlls in the path. It breaks the isolation of the rock. Also, consider what happens when you remove the rock. Do you remove the dll you put on the path? What happens if you stepped onto the dll of another application? Removing the dll will break it.

Agreed.
(And I wasn't suggesting that LuaRocks install DLLs on the PATH, I said installing pcre.dll on package.cpath would be wrong).

Neither I was suggesting using package.cpath either.

Regards,
Ignacio Burgueño