Ignacio Burgueño wrote:
Shmuel Zeigerman wrote:
If an lrexlib rock installs pcre.dll into the same directory as rex_pcre.dll, then the rock is wrong! pcre.dll should be either somewhere on Windows PATH, or in the directory where lua.exe resides.

Why? Imagine two different applications are using different versions of PCRE. If my rock installs its version of PCRE in the Windows path, it's most likely to break the other applications.

Usually, if a Windows application is concerned with a particular DLL version, it installs it in the directory where it installs its EXE. Then, it can be safely uninstalled from there with the rest of the application.

Whenever possible, its best to not drop dlls in the path. It breaks the isolation of the rock. Also, consider what happens when you remove the rock. Do you remove the dll you put on the path? What happens if you stepped onto the dll of another application? Removing the dll will break it.

Agreed.
(And I wasn't suggesting that LuaRocks install DLLs on the PATH, I said installing pcre.dll on package.cpath would be wrong).

--
Shmuel