On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:31:52AM -0700, Wesley Smith wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 10:06:39AM -0700, Wesley Smith wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >> I was porting some code to Windows and was surprised that a method:
> >>    static in __gc(lua_State *L)
> >> was using the "__gc" keyword.
> >
> > If you write your code in compliance with standards, that shouldn't matter.
> > Any identifier starting with double underscores is in the purview of the
> > implementation, and your code must not define it in any way.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand a single word of this.  Can you
> explain with less generalities?  I'm writing strict C++, which I guess
> corresponds to "compliance with standards", but I don't follow the
> next sentence.

You seem not to be obeying the C++ standards.  If you were obeying them,
then you would not be defining a function named "__gc", or any other
identifier that starts with two underscores, and this particular compiler
keyword "__gc" would not disturb you by its existence.
--
Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com>