Well, my preliminary tests show that your patch certainly makes a
difference on my test environment (by 'patch' I mean the way you call
the garbage collector when there's no more memory, not the GC patch).
As mentioned on some other thread, I'm using a small statistics module
to measure the performance and usability of some allocators in
conjunction with Lua. Using my ultra-simple chained allocator,
'speed-test.lua' needed at least 66k to run before using the patch,
now it runs happily with 39k, which is quite an improvement. I'm
having some problems making it run with TLSF; for some reason, Lua
segfaults with this allocator when your patch is applied and I don't
understand why (it runs fine with TLSF without the patch). Which is
not nice, since TLSF gave some very good results when used with Lua,
and I'm very curious about the TLFS + patch combination. In any case,
I think your patch would be useful in any resource constrained
embedded system (and most of them are resource constrained). People on
desktops will probably be reluctant to use this, since they generally
don't have problems related to memory consumption and the patch would
only slow down Lua, but I consider this to be an important step
towards making Lua embedded-friendly.
On thing that I've noticed is that setting the limit to 64k (which is
the maximum internal memory of many ARM cores out there) doesn't
really help, as the allocator is likely to return NULL because
reaching this limit. However, setting the limit to 3/4 of the actual
available memory changes the situation dramatically.