Sounds interesting, I'm surprised that's the only place you ran in to any problems. Just so you know, the next version of lua features an emergency garbage collector when a request cannot be satisfied. I don't know whether this is the same as a full collectgarbage, or if it just finishes the current phase or what.

Just out of curiousity ;) what happens if the second request fails as well and an error is thrown? I assume in this obscure case the "used" value would be incorrect - doubt it would be a problem but just something to consider before making any assumptions about used.

- Alex