I figured the problem out.  I was accidentally not unreffing a
function used in the Title environment when I got rid of it, so they
both stayed behind (the Title environment being hidden from everything
else).  I figured it wasn't a leak in Lua--chances of that are slim,
after all, it's highly tested.