Le 21 avr. 08 à 23:11, Matthew M. Burke a écrit :

FYI---

the funded projects for Google's Summer of Code have just been announced. Although Lua wasn't an accepted organization this year, Lua is being represented amongst the funded projects:

Maxime Petazzoni will be working on improvements to mod_wombat --- Brian McCallister's Apache module that allows for Lua scripted responses to HTTP requests. In particular, Maxime will be working on interfacing to mod_dbd so that you can access (pooled) db connections, etc from Lua scripts.

That's very good news :)

I have tried mod_wombat some time ago and here are the problems I had:

- The cache setting "never" didn't work for me, I had to restart apache all the time to make sure my script was updated (on macosx at least) - I was not happy with some environment variables like SCRIPT_NAME which were different from what I expected and from what other modules like WSAPI return (this could be solved with a WSAPI connector?) - It's a bore to have to install libapreq2, it would be nice to get rid of this dependency - IIRC, the way GET and POST tables get populated in mod_wombat is different from the way other lua modules populate them (WSAPI and cgilua for example). This makes porting an application from one platform to another very difficult (ex: mod_wombat -> fastcgi) - It would be nice to have a WSAPI connector now that WSAPI is almost ready, but this should be easy to do when mod_wombat gets closer to release state.

A mod_dbd would indeed be nice, but IMO the above problems should be solved first. Unfortunately I don't know Apache2, HTTP, etc well enough to help so that's just my hopes.

Now, from a long time PHP web developer perspective, I think lua has more to offer to web developers than PHP in terms of raw power. The language itself is a lot cleaner and offers more "features" like closures, metatables and anonymous functions to start with. It is obvious lua was carefully planned from the ground up, unlike PHP which goes in every direction now. Lua is also easy to grasp which means its use could spread like fire once the infrastructure is ready. Mod_wombat, like WSAPI and its fcgi connector, would be the basis of the required infrastructure to allow all kind of interesting things to happen for lua on the web, that's why both are very important projects in my eyes. I would be very happy to see usage of lua for the web grow. With projects like mod_wombat, wsapi and luarocks I see this coming :)

--
Bertrand Mansion
Mamasam