Hi, I am the developer of Kahlua, so my post may be biased.

As far as I know, Kahlua is currently the only pure Java port of Lua.
JavaLua is really just a wrapper to interface with standard Lua, which
means it won't work on J2ME.
Recently, Kahlua got full support for coroutines which means it now
has complete support of the lua core.
The only things that are missing now is a compiler and some of the
basic libraries.

The reason that some are missing are obvious: io and os don't have the
same correspondence in J2ME.
Others are simply tricky to do - String pattern matching / formatting.
(Though work is being done there too.)

If you decide to go for a full port yourself, perhaps Kahlua would be
an adequate starting point - I would personally welcome all useful
additions to it!

I would however still argue that Kahlua is useful already as it is,
since you rarely need to (or want to, given the input system!) type
Lua code directly on the mobile phone which means that you don't
really need a compiler built in.

Cheers,
Kristofer