Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
My best guess is that the GC heuristics slow down the collector
too much if the size of the hash slots is 32 and not 28.

It seems we can compensate this effect by changing the collector settings.
For instance, with collectgarbage("setpause", 150) I got the following
results:

Can someone explain to me why setting collectgarbage("setpause", 300) on either Linux or Windows will cause the previously posted program to never collect garbage?

Thanks,
  Bradley