On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:19 AM, Enrico Colombini wrote:

Eugen-Andrei Gavriloaie wrote:
3. I think the entire script will be executed entirely on each lua_evaluate_expression because of lua_pcall(L,0,1,0). This is not acceptable because I want to use this approach on other occasions. Here is ok, because we have to deal with a configuration file, but I will definitively have to deal with other types of Lua scripts that are not supposed to run over and over again. Am I right?

If I understood correctly what you are looking for, have a look at the "Generic call function" in PiL2 (25.4).

 Enrico
Unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for. All I want is a way to evaluate an Lua expression (not calling a function). Something like

lua_evaluate_expression(L,"#applications")

where `applications` is a table of objects defined in the Lua file loaded previously. As you can see is not a function. I'd like to have a number present on the Lua stack after returning from lua_evaluate_expression function.

Another example of a more complex expression:

lua_evaluate_expression(L,"some_lua_function_that_returns_a_string().. \" some other string\"")

where some_lua_function_that_returns_a_string is a Lua function that returns a string. On the result we append `some other string` string

The expression evaluation would be made on the lua_State context, so any expression can be made using all the things already present in the Lua script.