Alex Davies wrote:
As for the weak table situation, I'm pretty sure they won't leak memory. They just won't shrink, so if it's greater than 100 mbytes of ram, that was merely it's peak usage. Not a leak, per se.

This is not a leak but that doesn't help. The memory is not freed and as application continues to run, it can eventually consume all the available memory.

But in any case, given the savings for your particular application modifying lua may be worthwhile. On my (outdated) version of lua, it'd be something like (untested):

Modifying Lua is not an option, as my application is a generally available Lua library.
--
Shmuel