Asko Kauppi <askok@dnainternet.net> writes:

> In my view, Mike's results are in line with the Core Duo results I had
> measured.
>
> What cannot be done is treat x86 as a single optimization target. It
> is not.
>
> Then again, modern x86's are utterly fast on FP, which they calculate
> as fast as integers.

No, they don't.  Integer arithmetic can be parallelized much more
thoroughly.  But when we are working with a byte-code interpreter, the
parallelization will speed up the byte code interpreter itself, but
hardly the arithmetic fed into it: the interpreter will not issue
arithmetic fast enough to make a difference.

--
David Kastrup