>  > When used frequently, however, it can be a performance win since it
>  > eliminates a table lookup. I've started to use the convention:
>  >
>  >     local Corge_foo = Corge.foo
>
>  > 1. I prefer to avoid using require.
>  > 2. There is no validation for Corge.foo to actually exist.
>
>  <...>
>
>  If you prefer, the "key not exist" function could be defined
>  apart from the module:
>
>   local Corge_foo = import(Corge, 'foo')    -- or
>   local Corge_foo = checked(Corge).foo

My import() function does check for the key existance. What I meant in
the original post is that there is no protection from messing up order
of existant key:

  local foo, bar, baz = import 'path/to/file.lua' { 'bar', 'baz', 'foo' }

If you write it separately, well, yes, it would arguably be somewhat
easier to spot while reading code, but at price of greater code bloat:

  local file = import 'path/to/file.lua' -- Okay, set metatable there
  local foo = file.foo
  local bar = file.bar
  local baz = file.baz

As soon as you fold it in single line for compactness, all benefits vanish:

  local file = import 'path/to/file.lua'
  local foo, bar, baz = file.foo, file.baz, file.baz

Alexander.