if os.execute() works, it would be something like :

os.execute("c:\sleep.exe 10") where you just find a
very simple C program(or whatever language, python, or
even another lua script using the stand alone lua +
alarm() module) which do the delay for you.

the idea is, call a program that can sleep/delay for X
seconds.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?