Thanks for all the responses. I think that I forgot to mention that I am
running windows (XP);

1. I tried sleep() and os.sleep, but it didn't work.

2. I don't think that I can add any libraries because LUA is somehow
built-in into the EccoExt executable (LUA is not separately installed).

3. I tried the suggested:
function wait(seconds)
   local start = os.time()
   repeat until os.time() > start + seconds
end

for i=1,10 do
   print(i)
   wait(7)
end

However, the CPU is going at close to 100% (as also mentioned) so that is
not a viable option.

4. I also tried:
for i=1,10 do
  print(i)
  if os.execute("/bin/sleep 7") ~= 0 then break end
end

However, after the first print(i), the cmd window opened and closed and the
loop stopped.

So in summary, I guess that there is no way to pause for a time without
having the CPU close to 100%...?

p.s. I do not have a print command, but I am using msgbox(i) to check the
"wait()" function.

  if os.execute("/bin/sleep 7") ~= 0 then break end
end

(the if ... break is for catching ctr-c while waiting)

:)