> Unfortunately, I won't be able to come to the workshop,
> my company is backing off since they read
> <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,142429/article.html

But this isn't news. And it's no reason to avoid the USA, unless you also
avoid entering almost any other country, e.g. UK (which has IIRC been
notifying travellers of the possibility of a full laptop audit for about
10 years!) and Australia. Naturally, this means avoiding leaving any of
those countries if you live in one of them, unless your intention is never
to return.

If your company really is that worried about US immigration, to the point
that they won't let you go to a Lua conference on those grounds alone,
then surely they'd never let you stay in a hotel, either, where the
average laptop is much more likely to 'get surveilled' (probably without
your knowledge) or simply stolen.

Why not simply get a second hard drive? Use it when travelling
and equip it with the data you need for each specific trip, and wipe it
between trips.

Restricting the set of data you carry around on international visits is a
good idea _in all respects_. Indeed, you shouldn't do it just because you
are afraid of US public servants. You should do it because you are mindful
of the ease with which data you carry around can be {lost,stolen,peeked
at} whilst you are on the road, and of the difficulty of taking your usual
computer security precautions when you are 2,000 light years from home and
living out of a suitcase.

So perhaps you could get your company to agree to let you go, if you
provide your own hard drive, which you set up for the trip _outside_ the
company network (i.e. so there is no corporate data on it). Leave the
company's disk at work, where it can be stored securely until you get
back.

After all, countries like the US and the UK -- where the possibility of a
laptop shakedown is overtly documented -- are actually giving you a fair
chance to take the sort of computer security precautions which a
well-informed person ought to be taking anyway. In that sense, they are
doing you a favour :-)