On this day of 02/24/2008 04:23 PM, Luís Eduardo Jason Santos saw fit to
scribe:
> LOL.
>
> Sorry, I think I can't hide that English is not my mother tongue. :-)
>
> Besides, all that Shakespeare I've read when I was young just happens
> to make me more confuse.
>
> Thank you guys for the heads up!

Interestingly enough, French has both "souffrir" (best translated as
'suffer', I believe, with connotations and all) and "subir" (translated
as 'to go through', perhaps?), both of which also have the same
connotation of ill treatment.

I think that 'subir' is used to say that something happened to you (j'ai
subi X) whereas 'souffrir' is used to indicate the state of suffering,
perhaps from something, e.g. je souffre de X.

So I guess 'sofrer' would be 'subir' in French, even though there's
still the issue of connotation...

Well, interesting stuff, but perhaps slightly off-topic. :-)

Cheers,
- David

--
~David-Haley