On 22 Feb 2008, at 22:00, Patrick Donnelly wrote:

I know most people are aware of this, but I found the documentation
misleading. It says it creates a string suitable for a temporary file
but doesn't mention the creation of the file too. Perhaps add this to
the documentation in the future? Personally I don't like that it
creates a file and would much rather it only create a string. This
apparently only affects POSIX compliant systems?

If you don't create the file, by the time you do the name may no longer be suitable for a temporary file. (See man tmpfile.)

David Dunham   Macintosh Game Developer
GameHouse Studios     +1 206 926 5722     www.gamehouse.com
    "They said it couldn't be done but sometimes it doesn't
     work out that way." -- Casey Stengel