I don't think migrating the language is troublesome, the CMake
scripting language is simple to analysis and could easily be
translated directly to a lua driven version of CMake. It does not look
challenging to me. But if the goal is just to use lua instead of CMake
script there is no benefits in doing it. It must also increase the set
of possible operations over the current CMake scripting language and
probably help enforce some coding practice related to the writting of
CMake modules and some other not that user friendly aspects of CMake
scripting. This is where the automated conversion might not work that
well.

I don't think either it's a good thing to support two language in
parallel thus, CMake should either migrate completly to Lua or not at
all.

Best regards