"steve donovan" <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> writes:
> (g)awk is a lovely language. Look at those old books by Jon Bentley and
> you'll see the oldtimers prototyping things in AWK. Was probably the
> first scripting language, apart from BASIC and shell ;)

Yes, I agree, awk is wonderful.  In many ways it's a far better
language, despite its limitations, than most of its purported
replacements (Lua excepted of course :-).

-Miles

--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train