>Pm's technique is an interesting way to get around
>the "nobody has the necessary prerequisites installed"
>problem that tends to be a issue for alternative build
>systems....

Indeed. I have my own build tree for Lua, from which I can build Lua as a
stub linking to a Lua DLL plus package DLLs, a lua.exe with package DLLs
which link back to it, or an all-in-one exe with packages
statically-linked in (except for large ones, such as lxp, and for ones
with non-free licences, such as lxysll, which has to be LGPL because xyssl
itself is). And I can build for Windows or Linux. I am hoping to be able
to have the luxury of building for OS X some time, but Apple's draconian
restriction against virtualisation of their (open source based, if you
don't mind :-) OS makes this unlikely...

...and I thought to do it in Lua, until I realised that I'd want to use my
own build tree's Lua, else why have it, and then I'd have a bootstrap
problem, and I so I ended up writing it in ...

...gawk, since it's standard both on Linux and in MSYS/MinGW.

Laugh if you will. I did.