On Jan 31, 2008 8:56 AM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@gmail.com> wrote:
...snip...
> Parentheses do help a parser, and they
> indicate "this is a function call" to mainstream programmers, so they
> help human parsing as well.
...snip...
> That's another tradeoff: more learning curve for potential tool users,
> and more needed documentation.

In Lua, function calls with parentheses are just as readily available
as those without parentheses.  It's quite easy to encourage the
convention of always using parentheses in function calls.  Companies
and projects make standards on indentation size and brace placement in
source code all the time; this doesn't seem any different.

Also, there's plenty of documentation on Lua and on this feature (as I
see).  I've never poked into the internals of CMake myself, but I
think using a general-purpose language like Lua, while creating "more
[of a] learning curve" for people who already use CMake, would be
easier for new users.

Cheers,
Ben