On Jan 25, 2008 9:07 PM, Leo Razoumov <slonik.az@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/08, Hisham <hisham.hm@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > And here is release 0.4.1 of LuaRocks, the system for deployment and
> > management of Lua modules.
>
> It would be very useful to be able to use luarocks to update itself. I
> currently have luarocks-0.3.2 installed and I would like to be able to
> do something like
>
> sh$ luarocks install luarocks
>
> to update it to version 0.4.1. I think it would be a good test of
> luarocks viability as a packaging system if it can at least update
> itself trouble free.

Again there is the bootstrapping issue: LuaRocks is meant to be
eventually distributed by Linux distributions, etc, and as such it is
not supposed to mess with its own files, which are under the auspicies
of the distribution package manager. Also, the focus of LuaRocks is to
be a deployment and management system for Lua modules, and not a
general-purpose package manager for applications. So, while this could
be technically possible, I'd prefer to avoid the user confusion and
support issues that could arise from systems containing an older
LuaRocks installed by a distribution and a newer LuaRocks installed by
the older one stored within the older version's repository.

-- Hisham