LuaRocks probably will be the "centralised modules archive". And yes, it would be highly beneficial for any platform using Lua, not only the officially supported ones (s.a. Win32, Linux, OS X, see LuaRocks roadmap ;) for specifics). LuaRocks standardizes building modules, maybe also documenting them. Certainly downloading them. There is much hope in the air that it will prove out to be the _working_ distribution system that both LuaCheia and LuaX promised to be, but didn't deliver.

What I'd like to see / suggest to LuaRocks is a feedback system, akin to Amazon readers ratings. Give stars or even textual feedback on using certain modules. Then one could see both the official, authored descriptions and documentation, and "user community" gotchas or praise of it. In other words, don't just plan based on apt-get and alike, but based on Amazon as well.

I shall cc this to the LuaRocks mailing list.

-asko