On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 23:38 +0100, Stefan Sandberg wrote:
> It's just the portuguese word for moon.. I'm not sure the name OF the
> moon orbiting earth is 'moon' though.
> If it were, expressions like "The name of one of Jupiters moons is
> Europa" would sound pretty strange..

Moon is both specific to our moon, and any natural satellite.  Earth
only has one (commonly, unless you're a QI viewer, where the number
changes from series to series) moon, so it's unambiguous to say "Earth's
moon".

It's sometimes called Luna in English too - from the Latin (where the
Portuguese Lua comes from, too)

B.