Yes, someone got some Afrikaans in there somewhere !  I know that a
linguist would consider that a _kind of German_, but so is English ;)

I agree with lhf, this is a classic case where token filters would
work nicely. Remember also that you don't have to _define_ new token
types, because something like '$' will pass through untranslated -
print($NoResourcesLeft), etc.

The big payoff is that your translation occurs at compile time. So you
could use luac to generate bytecode and store that - although in my
experience token filters are suprisingly fast.

steve d.