Hi,

I'm happy to announce the third release of LuaRocks, and the first to
a wider audience.

What is LuaRocks --- LuaRocks is a deployment and management system
for Lua modules. LuaRocks allows you to install Lua modules as
self-contained packages called "rocks", which contain also version
dependency information. This information is used both at install time,
so that when one rock is requested all rocks it depends on are also
installed, and at run time, so that when a module is required, the
correct version is loaded. LuaRocks supports both local and remote
rocks repositories. You can download and install LuaRocks on Unix-like
systems (Linux, Mac OS X,...) and Windows.

In this release --- LuaRocks is still in its infancy, but the
fundamental functionality is available (install and remove packages,
match dependencies). The package is configured to use a repository
which contains a small number of rocks we prepared, but which seems to
give a feel of the tool, and hopefully will serve as examples for new
contributions. Building rocks from sources is fully supported on Unix,
but not as much on Windows yet, mostly because of the lack of Windows
makefiles for modules -- the tools can support building on Windows,
but most rockspecs were written for Unix only. Still, I added to the
repository some hand-packed binary rocks, to allow people to try out
LuaRocks on Windows.

Download links and documentation are available at http://www.luarocks.org

Check out the current rocks at repository at http://luaforge.luarocks.net/rocks/

Everyone is invited to join the LuaRocks mailing list at
http://luaforge.net/mail/?group_id=220

Cheers,
-- Hisham