Is it possible to have my app statically link to lua but also allow for
DLL based packages to work correctly? I'd like to add support for
sockets in my library using the luasockets package. I've built the
sockets library so it links to a static version of the lua library and
it appears to work.I know that by having the app and package statically
link they each end up with their own copy of lua - Is this a really bad
thing?

I have seen luasockets crash a few times - could the multiple copies of
lualib cause this sort of thing? In general, is statically linking a bad
idea when using .dll based packages?

Thanks-

John