> (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Larry_Wall, look for "Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal with fingernail clippings mixed in")

Larry Wall's argument about Lisp looking ugly don't hold any water, since he designed Perl, which is far uglier and more punctuated than Lisp -- so there must be some other reason he hates Lisp. Larry Wall has deeply seated evangelical religious beliefs, and has publicly stated that he believes that mankind is morally bankrupt. Most institutionalized religions are deeply homophobic, and actively encourage hatred and persecution of gays. So that supports my theory.

http://www.wall.org/~larry/keynote/keynote.html

"Theological Beliefs: Now let me take off that anthropological hat and put on a couple of others, so we can see an example of how this context thing works. Suppose I put on my theological hat, or more specifically, my evangelical Christian hat. I can tell you that I believe in God. I believe mankind is morally bankrupt, and I believe that God sent his one and only Son to earth so that we would not have to continue living in moral bankruptcy. I believe that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ define the center of history. I believe that God created the universe, and that God will choose when and how the universe will end. A little less cosmically, I believe in helping people, and I believe in supporting my local church. I believe that God can certainly do miracles if he jolly well pleases, and that one of the things he jolly well pleases is that somehow or other I will live forever."

   -Don