On Nov 28, 2007 1:57 PM, Don Hopkins <dhopkins@donhopkins.com> wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear somebody claim that they refuse to use XML and
HTML because they have too many parenthesis

There's one significant difference: XML/SGML lingoes are only used to described dumb data, on which one usually does pretty basic manipulations (XSLT had even much less success than Lisp AFAIK), and mainly through tools that hide concrete syntax. You rarely get as intimate with some XML blob as you have to with a piece of code you need to write/understand/debug/extend, so its syntax and readability don't matter as much.

Wow, in what language does lisp mean nail clippings in oatmeal, and
where can I get some of that stuff? It sounds delicious!

Perl. But don't go there if you dislike sigils :P

(http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Larry_Wall, look for "Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal with fingernail clippings mixed in")