On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 22:02 +0600, Vyacheslav Egorov wrote:
[...]
> I could not find Dalvik spec, but I guess that Dalvik and JVM have a
> quite similar semantics.

Having worked in the embedded Java world for a number of years, I
strongly suspect that the reason for Dalvik has nothing to do with
technology and everything to do with licensing --- the Java licensing
requirements for embedded JVMs are quite draconian. By using a different
JVM, Google have rather neatly managed to avoid the whole issue.

It'll also mean that they won't be able to advertise Android phones as
supporting Java --- you may write the programs in it, but they don't
*run* it any more than GWT apps run Java. But I think Google are big
enough that nobody will care...

│
│ "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
│ stupidity." --- Nick Diamos (Hanlon's Razor)