On Wednesday 14 November 2007, Hisham Muhammad wrote:

> Actually, you can use vanilla Lua. Make sure lua is in your path and
> use --lua-suffix= (with nothing after the = sign) so that configure
> looks for "lua" and not "lua5.1".
 Hello Hisham:
 I tried that. But the problem as reporting by `make' is that there is
 no /usr/include/lua.h (true). It is then apparent that I must install
 LuaBinaries...
 Unpacking the tarfile -  lua5_1_2_Sources.tar.gz downloaded from
http://luabinaries.luaforge.net/download.html - I find the following
in the toplevel directory of the extracted files:

/etc  /include Makefile.std   /mak.macosx
/mak.vs2002  /mak.vs2003  /mak.vs2005  /mak.vs6  /src

Runnin `make' then 'make linux' give me
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
tim@bart:~/downloads/lua/lua5.1$ make linux
make: *** No rule to make target `linux'.  Stop.

Looking in Makefile.std, I see references in comments to
a file called INSTALL, there is no such file to be found.
I also see reference to src/Makefile and src/luaconf.h,
I can find them and looking in src/Makefile I am instructed
to configuration in premak.lua.
I am an "old" (in more ways than one) C programmer and
6 years removed from that discipline. I know nothing about Lua
and am now at an impasse without documentation.
Thanks
Tim