It would be really worth thinking (for Lua authors) whether something like this (the C++ header only approach) could reside in the /etc folder of official Lua releases.

As to the "one or more implementations" issue, isn't LuaJIT kind of a second implementation, already?   (don't need to answer)

Will we need a compatibility test suite, soon?  :P

How about Lua in Python?  :PP

-asko