> Suppose I want to save (a part of) the lua state, in binary form. For
> example, lets assume I have _G.state = {...}, and I want to save _G.state,
> to load it somewhere later.
>
> I scanned luac.c and found that it saves the lua_State in binary form using
> the luaU_dump and clvalue() functions.

luac does not save the lua_State: it saves functions.

There are many appraoches to saving a Lua table. Search the wiki, e.g.:
   http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaRecipes (Recursive table print/serialization)
   http://lua-users.org/wiki/PickleTable

These save a table as Lua code in text form, which will probably work fine
for you.  For an experimental approach that uses luac's binary format, see