It's a bit inconvenient, but as a workaround, you could also write a function
that converts a string hexcode (in lua5.1 tonumber does it as well) into a
decimal:

function hex (str) return tonumber (str) end -- 5.0 compatible?
  -- otherwise, write a function to convert the string

print(hex'0xff') -- 255

Eike