Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
I have a solution for this in perl, which is like a sledgehammer because extracting text from balanced delimiters is difficult with a regex. I was attracted to lua because its regex engine has the %b construct, which seems to do just what I need.

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq6.html#Can-I-use-Perl-regular-expressions-to-match-balanced-text%3f-regex%2c-matching-balanced-test-regexp%2c-matching-balanced-test-regular-expression%2c-matching-balanced-test

I've heard the perl 5.10 regex engine improves recursive regex support a bit: http://www.regex-engineer.org/slides/perl510_regex.html