First, in an effort to help you clean up your Lua code:

function check_memory(who)
 -- local i = 0 --why is this here?

 if not who then return (nil) end

 if (remember[who]) then
   return("I remember you, " .. who .. "!")
 else
    remember[who] = 1
    return ("I am trying to remember you, " .. who .. "!")
 end
end

Sorry if that seems like nit picking but I found what you did incredibly odd.

Anyways, seeing your C code is necessary for us to help you I think.
Just be sure to trim it to show only relevant portions.

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant